The Geku is the disciplinarion. He is a tall regal man who walks around the different ceremonies keeping everyone line. You do not cross the Geku. When he approaches you bow a bit in respect. My first meeting with the Geku was at Ngwangs debate. He asked me who my teacher was. I told him and he allowed me to continue to film. Well it was not as easy today. I was wondering around the debate courtyard filming away and no one seemed to mind. There were other westerners taking pictures When the debate time was over all the monks went to the central part of the debate hall and began some prayers. I of course continued to film. The Geku spotted me, came directly over and let it be known that I was done filming there for the day.
Bilbo
PS. Yes my bags arrived.
OK so I'll add a little more here since everyone enjoyed my being busted.
I'm really not sure why the Geku decided that my shooting this was fine one day and not the next. It may be that he was generous the first time. I stay pretty well back from things but even so there was is a lot of chatter and looks from the monks. Since its the Gekus job to keep them focused it probably best that he ran me off. I do plan to visit him and make an offering.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
So, did you forget to bow? Or did he find your filming during prayer to be disrespectful?
Busted! I hope you got that part on film!
Perhaps he simply needs some further explanation as to what you are doing. Either that or he wants a bigger role in the film. Have you negotiated a contract with him yet?
Keep the posts coming, Bill. I'm loving this!
Post a Comment